002 - Prototype 2 - ?????? - X.X - LHD - Crash Test Car - Believed destroyed by Ford

Here is a list of every chassis along with any information I have found about it
Justin Smith

002 - Prototype 2 - ?????? - X.X - LHD - Crash Test Car - Believed destroyed by Ford

Post by Justin Smith »

For car #002 I have not been able to find any press photographs nor a registration number but we do know a little more about it’s life (I think).

I have been told by Bob Howe that #002 was used for the official crash approval and I found these photos in amongst the papers he left me, on the back of one of them it says "Oct 20, 1884"
Scan--72.jpg
Scan--73.jpg
Scan--74.jpg
Scan--75.jpg
You should look at the last image and there are some funny comments written on the sill.

I bought some old original FORD video tapes and photographs from an x-FORD employee in 2004 and one of them was the original footage of crash test which you can see in the video section.

In the images you can see that the car is built as a left hand drive version but this is just about all we can tell until more images or some more history emerges.

Bob Howe said, “Believe it or not, the damage was really not that great after the tests and the team back at Boreham did a great job of rebuilding the car that it was ready for a car show in Munich only one week later”

In Graham Robsons 7th newsletter to owners he quotes;-

"Car No. 2 - Loaned to Pirelli, for exhibition purposes" but I have never been able to work out what that means.

The last interesting piece of info are 4 contact sheets that I have found but I can't find the original negatives. They prove there were a lot more images taken of the event.
Scan--76.jpg
Scan--77.jpg
Scan--78.jpg
Scan--79.jpg
If you find out anything else about this car please drop me an email and i'll update the cars entry !

justin.smith@rs200.org

Images

Peter Arnold thinks this might have been 002 though...

"Here is another shot, on my front drive, which must be a Southgate proto as it has the rearward opening (death trap) bonnet - Peter"