068 - Unregistered - 1.8 - RHD - DSRM Car - Current owner known (BS) - UK

Here is a list of every chassis along with any information I have found about it
Justin Smith

068 - Unregistered - 1.8 - RHD - DSRM Car - Current owner known (BS) - UK

Post by Justin Smith »

From the FORD records I have seen I think this car was originally sold to (JC) from DSRM in Yorks,UK about March 1986.

In February 2004 I found the car for sale on the www. - I spoke to the seller (RS) and it turns out that it has had a bit of famous history as it was the world champ car driven by Mark Renninsen and was sold by Mark to King Hussein in around 1994 for a lot of money - Serious offers only being accepted then, It was enjoying the sun in California. The sale price of £100k includes what ever paint / sponsor, logos or numbers that you prefer.

In July 2008 I was given some more images of #068 from (GH) with a great email...

"Justin, Fantastic site, a real resource for RS200 enthusiasts.During the 1980's I was involved in Rallycross, both in the UK and Europe and witnessed an influx of RS200's from 1986 onwards into the sport. Interestingly not many of the cars I was familiar with appear in your listings, I can only assume many of these were made up from parts. The Mark Rennison RS200 which seems to be identified as Chassis No 068 spent a good few years in the British and European Rallycross Championships. Evidence of this can be seen on Youtube. I'm amazed this car is still in one piece considering the conditions Rallycross cars had to endure at the top end of the sport. In fact, on it's debut outing at Brands Hatch it was involved in a start line incident with fellow Rallycrosser John Smith in his Porsche 911. The impact was so great the Porsche was destroyed in the incident, the RS200 front end appeared quite badly damaged along with Mark Rennisons confidence!!

Interesting to see the valuation of $550,000. Quite impressive, but not a fraction of what was probably spent on it during it's Rallycross days. I do have fond memories of John Carter, who owned the car, cleaning the mud and dirt off his investment after every race. Quite an amusing site as he was quite a short man. I have recently noticed Marks son Ben has started racing and has a Web Site which contains contact information for Mark Rennison http://www.benrennison.com - I always remember Mark being an approachable chap so should you require more history of this Chassis I'm sure he would be willing to help. I've also attached a couple of pictures I took of the car in action in British Rallycross during the late 80's. Please feel free to use them if you wish. Once again, great site. Keep up the good work. Regards Gavin"

Some great info there, if you find out anything else about this car please drop me an email and i'll update the cars entry but for now I shall show the US flag as it's last location.

April 2017 - I was reminded by the current owner (BS) that he has 068 and is yet to put her back together...

"In the process of digging in my stores for wheels and tyres I also uncovered and had a look at chassis No. 068 that I've had tucked away with the rest of my stuff. It still has GB1 on the roof from its rallycross days with Mark Rennison. I have everything except the original engine. I have two sets of bodywork with it too. The original, factory parts with DSRM and Tinsley Trailers all over them and the later, huge carbon fibre wing version that it sported for a season or two. It's about time I started putting it all back together."

justin.smith@rs200.org

Images