084 (EVO 214) - Unknown - 2.1 - LHD - White - Current owner NOT known - USA

Here is a list of every chassis along with any information I have found about it
Justin Smith

084 (EVO 214) - Unknown - 2.1 - LHD - White - Current owner NOT known - USA

Post by Justin Smith »

From looking at the FORD records I beleive this car was originally sold to (ML) from California around March 1991, it was uprated by FORD at the customers request to quite a precise specification. This vehicle was destined to be chassis 214.

On 12/12/2003 I found the car whilst surfing the internet looking for a RS200 to buy for myself, it was for sale in Las Vegas, the advert read:-

"1986 FORD RS200 EVOLUTION ID# SFACXXBJ2CGL00084 FORD RS200 EVOLUTION. #084 CAR. 2.1 LITER COSWORTH SINGLE TURBO. 600+ HP. ONE OF 24 EVER MADE. THIS CAR IS FACTORY ORIGINAL AND HAS BEEN DRIVEN VERY LITTLE SINCE NEW. THE RS200 WAS BANNED FROM RALLY COMPETITION IN EUROPE IN THE LATE EIGHTIES BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO FAST AND CONSEQUENTLY BELIEVED TO BE TOO DANGEROUS. RECENTLY THE FIA HAS LIFTED THE BAN ON THESE CARS TO COMPETE IN THE "VINTAGE" RALLIES BEFORE ALL OF THE EVENTS ON THIS SEASON'S EUROPEAN RALLY SCHEDULE BECAUSE OF THEIR POPULARITY THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. EUROPEANS ARE FRANTICLY TRYING TO FIND THESE CARS AND THIS IS AN UNMOLESTED EXAMPLE OF THE REAL THING. TWO POINT ONE SECONDS, THAT'S 2.1 SECONDS, A LITTLE OVER TWO SECONDS. LESS THAN THREE SECONDS. IN THE TIME IT'S TAKEN YOU TO READ THIS, A FORD RS200 EVO CAN REACH 60MPH! FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND 650BHP FROM A MERE 2.1 LITRE ENGINE MADE FORD'S RALLY CAR AN INSTANT LEGEND WHICH FEW CARS HAVE COME CLOSE TO CATCHING."

On April 20th 2004 I learnt that the owner of this car, and indeed the whole collection ( http://www.blackhawkcollection.com ), Tom Barrett III has passed away and in July 2004 I was told the she would be up for auction in the US on 11th - 15th August 2004.

In November 2004 I was told that somebody on the email address dadularach@msn.com was trying to pretend that they own this car and that it is up for sale for £9000. - Yeah right ! - I made some enquires and found that the car was still for sale in the blackhawkcollection and, should you have $295,000, it could be yours and when I last checked in November 2009 the car was still for sale - I am hoping it will still be there in June next year as I'll be in Vegas !

May 2019 - I noticed #084 being offered for sale at Sotheby's in Arizona, guide price $500,000 - $700,000

This 1986 Ford RS200 is one of those rare 24 factory Evolution examples. Early in its life the car was owned by the late Robert ‘Bob’ Southerland, founder of the Colorado Grand Rally. Southerland sold the car in 1989 to private ownership, who enjoyed the car until recently, when it was subsequently purchased by the current owner. Since acquiring it, the car has benefitted from a complete overhaul which included fitting a new cooling system, fuel system, hoses, brakes, clutch, and all electrical. During this time the engine was rebuilt by Geoff Paige in the UK. With the work completed, the car is fully sorted and ready to impress against even today’s modern supercars.

The Evolution is presented in the traditional Ford Works racing livery in white with blue stripes. The interior is trimmed by Tickford and features a Terraspeed speedometer, VDO instrumentation, a three-spoke red-rimmed steering wheel, and matching red bucket seats with four-point Sabelt harnesses. The front compartment of the RS200 offers storage space as well as accommodation for the factory tool kit, which remains intact.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az19 ... ion/733582

I'm told she sold for $522,500

If you find out anything else about this car please drop me an email and i'll update the cars entry !

justin.smith@rs200.org

Images