182 - A20 OEV SOLD AT AUCTION

Cars spotted for sale and those seeking a car
tentenths

Re: 182 - A20 OEV SOLD AT AUCTION

Post by tentenths »

cxa2000 wrote:What have i missed, who doesnt like the banter then :roll:
Klaus decided to lock the post on replicas and as we seem to contribute 80% of the content , it seemed a bit odd. Its actually funny when you think about it. I had a school teacher that used to jump the gun a bit. I wonder :? :? :?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

tentenths wrote:
Klaus decided to lock the post on replicas and as we seem to contribute 80% of the content , it seemed a bit odd. Its actually funny when you think about it. I had a school teacher that used to jump the gun a bit. I wonder :? :? :?
Oh alright then... maybe I did jump the gun a little... :roll:
I'll unlock it... :lol:
tentenths

Post by tentenths »

Klaus wrote:
tentenths wrote:
Oh alright then... maybe I did jump the gun a little... :roll:
I'll unlock it... :lol:
Was going to put a translated remark in German with Google to say Great guy or the likes but the translation page is weird tonight.
So cannot but thanks :D
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

now now then lets all kiss and make up :lol: :D i think more people should join in with the idle banter 8-)
tbtstt

Post by tbtstt »

There is no way in a million years (or at least quite a few! :D ) that I could afford it, but I've lost count of the number of numbers I've looked at that advert and the previous listing for A20 OEV - its looks as close to a road legal early 90's rallycross car as you are likely to get. One day...
Dogsbone

Post by Dogsbone »

“Close” being the operative word as the RS200 EVO is not strictly road legal, at least in the UK, not sure about elesewhere. Having said that my EVO (096) has only ever been used on the road, just need an amenable or unobservant MOT tester
tbtstt

Post by tbtstt »

Really? I didn't know that. I always assumed the RS200 Evo had to be road legal in order to be used for International competition (in the same way modern WRC cars are road legal).

Perhaps a silly question, but what deems the Evo to be non-road legal? Emissions? Or something else?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

I didn't know that officially it was not road legal either but it's to be assumed that if it had eventually made it to the rally scene, which it didn't as during the 1986 season they were running the 1.8 litre cars, they would eventually have received an official homologation. Interesting though but then it begs the question... if they were/are not road legal how can they be issued a registration at all?
tentenths

Post by tentenths »

Dogsbone wrote:“Close” being the operative word as the RS200 EVO is not strictly road legal, at least in the UK, not sure about elesewhere. Having said that my EVO (096) has only ever been used on the road, just need an amenable or unobservant MOT tester

Sounds like a load of tosh to me. If not road legal would never get a registration number
Dogsbone

Post by Dogsbone »

In answer to the above the point of non-compliance is the handbrake. Ford fitted 300mm discs and different callipers to the EVO and deleted the cable operated rear handbrake callipers in favour of hydraulic actuation of the rear brake callipers. If you check the following link which is an interior view of 084 you can see a box on top of the tunnel to the rear of the handbrake lever which houses the hydraulic cylinder. Pictures of all the other unmolested EVO’s would all appear to be the same.

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y ... pID=412290

So technically you should not be able to get an MOT on one of these cars in the UK as a mechanical handbrake system must be fitted, hence needing and ameanable or unobservant MOT tester as I said above. I would assume that this would also be an EEC wide requirement. As far as registering one of these cars for road use I guess it would be done under the same type approval as the original vehicles although strictly speaking they are not the same and therefore not compliant.

This deficiency can easily be rectified of course but I guess as Group B had been discontinued the vehicles specification was tailored for Rallycross and was never intended for road use in the way the original cars were so a mechanical handbrake was not a requirement. I guess this also accounts for the ultra close ratios in the dog box which is probably the worst aspect of using the car on the road. With a standard transfer ratio top speed is only around 115 mph at 7,000 rpm compared with 144 mph on the original cars. First is also taller than standard. Previous owner of my car fitted a taller transfer ratio which now gives around 133 mph at 7,000 rpm or 185 mph if you run it to 9,000 rpm, but the down side to this is that first gear is also pushed higher and now goes to 60 mph at 7,000 rpm compared to 40 mph at 7,000 in an original RS200. That makes it a real bitch to pull off gently from a standing start. I guess A200EV is the same as somewhere in amongst that series of pictures showing detailing of the car the owner comments that it needs 4,000 rpm to launch it. This does help, but not very practical in traffic. Once on the move it's fine and quite docile to drive, even me granny handle it, at least until it comes on boost at 4,000, at which point it then transforms into a real beast.