Scalextric (Spain)

A database of all the RS200 models that we think exist
Dogsbone

Scalextric (Spain)

Post by Dogsbone »

The Spanish must love their rallying as Scalextric issued no less than six version of the RS200 for the Spanish market plus at least two boxed sets compared with just two versions for the UK market.

The two cars for the UK market use the same basic bodyshell as the six Spanish versions, marked “Made in Spain” on the underside, so I’m not sure if they originated there or were assembled in the UK as there seem to be some basic differences – UK versions have printed on livery whereas the Spanish versions use dry mount decals which can be peeled off. The Spanish versions have rear tail/brake lights and two drive belts fitted compared with no tail lights and one drive belt on the UK version. The Spanish versions also use a different motor which gives faster acceleration but lower top speed than the UK versions.

In the order that the cars were issued, as far as I can recall, there are the following:

White Shell sponsored version of B200 XVX from the Acropolis Rally (Kalle Grundel). Strangely the UK version of this car never carried the registration number as far as I have seen.

Marlboro Version, marked Rallye Catalunya, registration 2-M-6390-P.

There were then two Purolator versions (Calos Sainz), one White

and the second, Yellow with a light pod.

We then have the Blue Pioneer/Metal 5 sponsored car. Not sure if that’s livery from an actual car as no event or driver name decals.

Finally there was the Red “33” Export sponsored car. Again not sure if that’s livery from an actual car as again no event or driver name decals.

In addition to the above there were two boxed sets that I know off:

RC20 which contained the White Shell and Marlboro cars plus track and controller.

RC40 which contained the White Shell and Blue Lancia 037 cars plus track and controller.

In addition to the above Scalextric also produced at least one variant for Altaya for their Rallye Miticos series, so I wasn’t sure if this belonged in here or the Altaya thread. Anyway the model came in four parts with a weekly magazine, issues 21 to 24, and was B200 YOO (Kalle Grundel) from the 1986 Swedish Rallye. Quite a nice looking model, complete with mud spatter effect.

Mike 2

Re: Scalextric (Spain)

Post by Mike 2 »

My RS200 is like the miticos version car No 8 as in your last picture, I'm sure is has SCX marked underneath.

I think the English versions were :-

white "Ford" blue stripes

yellow "telecom"

Both had ears, spot lamps and 4wd bands like my SCX version.
Dogsbone

Re: Scalextric (Spain)

Post by Dogsbone »

This gets a bit confusing actually. Most of the models seem to be boxed as Scalextric and the later ones as SCX, similarly with the instruction sheets. But irrespective of this all the instruction sheets and some of the part number labels on the boxes have the name EXIN-LINES BROS, S.A. on them which I assume is the company which is owner of the brand names. One dealer did try and explain this to me once and said it was something to do with copyright and use of the name in differnt countries. Had a quick look at my models and they all seem to be branded Scalextric on the underside except for the last one, the Red "33" Export, which is branded SCX.

Maybe if your White Shell version has SCX on the underside it could a later issue. Most of mine I bought through a dealer in Manchester who imported them from Spain as soon as they were released.

William Arnold