Accurate replica

For chat and information about cars that look like a RS200 but actually are not one
Nikki

Re: Accurate replica

Post by Nikki »

Mike N wrote: I'm afraid its the Mercury / KARA / RS Automotic / EVO 200 replica's that are dimentionally different ;) . Not mine.
Mike
Oops I didn't know that... I stand corrected... :-)
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Klaus

By that I mean the Rally Replica's 200 car is accurate but the KARA's etc are not, they are longer, wider and have extra deep sills.

CheeRS
Mike
jcm

Post by jcm »

Hi Mike

So I guess that you have had access to a "real one" and captured all the dims and whatever info you needed and then made your own mouldings exact to the mm?
And what sort of chassis did you do?

Best

João
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

Joao,

My panels came from original Ford moulds, You can't get more accurate than that!

I made the chassis conversion.

I can also do LHD cars for the rest of Europe.

If you are interested in one, please PM me.

CheeRS
Mike
RS200WRX

Post by RS200WRX »

My replica is also dimensionally correct. The moulds were made using panels from the original moulds. Ok so I use Subaru floor pan for my car for many practical reasons. The low height of the engine for one, also I get turbo power and 4wd. Also I don't need to fabricate expensive suspension components. To make a mid engined 4wd replica is possible SPD Automotive is developing such a car. To start from scratch to replicate anything to honor the original car would probably cost tens of thousands of pounds probably 100's and has been the ideal of many a 200 fan including myself. The brilliant Kara/Mercury/Evo200 replicas although not dimensionally correct do at least pay homage to the original with the engine being mid mounted albeit 2wd. With some concession to interior space etc. My first Subaru based car had lift up rear clam and an internal buklhead etc because it was supposed to be my next rallycar back in 2004 but MSA regs put paid to that and I finished the car as a road car. The rear area was then just useless although I could get masses of camping gear ect for car shows but everything had to go in bin liners because it was impossible to keep the back dry. My latest car and the 5th I have built this way used a one piece bodyshell allowing for a 4 seat configuration which is now extremely practical, dry and with luggage space behind the rear seats. Modern running gear and spacious interior are definitely a bonus. I have a couple of friends who have owned real RS200s that have driven my replica and totally love it as a much nicer car to drive. I would love a real 200 as much as the next guy but potential 100k price tags are out of my reach. Look at my car in the replica section outwardly almost impossible to tell its not the real thing. And I'll let you into a secret although I built this car myself from the start it only actually stands me about £7000 finished.
nads1978

Post by nads1978 »

Mike N wrote:From me, Rally Replicas!
Do you have a web site?
nads1978

Post by nads1978 »

Suzi wrote:Hi João

I have some dimensions, tech spec etc I can and email to you if you wish?

I also found this website http://www.evo200.com/contact.html

Not sure if they are still trading. I've just sent them an email enquiry, will keep you posted

Cheers

Suzi
Would you be kind enough to send to me also?
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

nads1978 wrote:
Mike N wrote:From me, Rally Replicas!
Do you have a web site?

Hi Nads,

No, I havent set up a website for Rally Replicas. However the car was featured in TKC magazine last year and there are photos of it in the replica section under Mike N.

There are also loads of pics on the RS200 replica forums website www.banham200.co.uk in my gallery.

Or just PM me here for info.

CheeRS
Mike 2 (formally Mike N untill I lost my password!).
reisman44

Post by reisman44 »

Hello to everybody. This is my first message :)
I was wathching this interesting video and I started to think.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/nex ... er/944641/

Why not scan a naked chassis of the RS200?
It would be possible to correct imprecisions too(checking lenghts, geometries etc.).
If expensive we could do something collective.A step at a time. (Scan, computer analysis, production of a shell, etc.)
Even if not produced today because of costs the data could be useful for the future, making it possible to conceive a carbon shell.
Would be light as intended in origin and all wouldn't harm the original RS200 value (I think it would increase).
Hope this post doesn't sound too childish but I had to say it.
If anyone has the car but not the intention to do something collective well...try it yourself if funds allow, even just gathering the 3-d data.

Cheers to everybody
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

You could spend your time, money and years of effort trying the things you have mentioned, but building the major components is relativley easy anyway, dimensions for the chassis is on .org somewhere. Genuine body panels taken from genuine moulds are available from loads of people so why start again from scratch? The completed car would only be recognised as a 200+ or a replica anyway, these unfortunately don't hold the same value as a true Factory built Ford RS200.

Minor RS200 spares are probably the main problem. Special nuts, bolts, brakes, suspension bits, bushes, diffs, gearbox bits, engine bits, gaskets, seals, props, brgs, wiring, high wear items etc etc etc.
But I think these sort of spares are best left to preserve the original genuine cars.

Mike