RS 200 re-build

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
headman

RS 200 re-build

Post by headman »

Sorry for delay in progress report but I have been to the Isle of Man twice since the last post. I am carrying out a complete re- build on a 1942 World War 2 Ford GPW. m(jeep). This is an on road/off road 4 wheel drive Ford, the one I am re-building over her is also an on road/off road 4 wheel drive Ford!!!!!.
Right, the engine was removed and partially stripped and found to be in excellent condition, so is going back together. The head is in the process of being stripped, I will then clean up, grind in the valves and set he clearances on the new followers. All new seals, gaskets and water pump have been ordered from John Wilcox Engines and will be available end off month.
All of the suspension components have been taken off the tub and all of the bushes removed, I am in the process of obtaining replacements.
The doors have been removed as has the dash, awkward but not as bad as at first thought. Wiring was taken out and bits that had been added (not very professionally) stripped out, this will be re-done all by a friend who has re-wired many Rally cars. And now for some more awkward bits all of the fuel system was removed including the 2 fuel tanks (a bit messy). Next the pedals and
Master cylinders and all the relevant pipe work. Now for the tricky bit, removing the Transaxle assembly, not complicated but care needs to be taken when lowering it on the jack, pipes (which we decided to leave on for now did get in the way and the levers inspite of what the work shop manual says). After removing all of the rear roll bar, suspension supports, brackets etc the rear axle was easy to get out. Now for the body, we were worried about this but except for having to drill out lots of rivets and some awkward bolts it came off relatively easily. this left just the front tubular frame and water and oil coolers.
The tub is now at Arch Motors where new floors are being fitted. Due to electrolytic action the Aluminium Honeycomb had badly de-laminated and a previous repair had to be corrected, (I wonder if any others have this de-lamination). I have wafted over this in order to keep it short but if anyone to know more detail please ask. I have lots of picy's but at the moment I cannot get them out of Picasa onto the post, I only get the file name appear not the picture. Will get advice and try again soon.
Nikki

Re: RS 200 re-build

Post by Nikki »

Thanks for the update headman. :-)

The easiest way to post pictures is to host them somewhere like photobucket, then get the IMG link and paste it in your post directly.

If you are having trouble you can also send me the pics via email and I'll host them for you, just let me know.
torqueatif

Re: RS 200 re-build

Post by torqueatif »

Photo's will be great,
I reckon 99% of the cars have floor delamination by now if they haven't already been repaired, the general consensus is the 1980's adhesive they used was not much good.
What have Arch quoted you to repair them ?