Transmission mode selector lever

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
Dogsbone

Transmission mode selector lever

Post by Dogsbone »

My car, like most I think, has the transmission mode selector lever locked in 4WD 37/63 split mode. In this mode the car is very very hard to push along. If this lever is unlocked and rear wheel drive mode selected does this make the car any easier to push.

William (096)
Justin Smith

Re: Transmission mode selector lever

Post by Justin Smith »

William,

It made mine un-driveable as it just spun up the rear wheels everywhere, so much so it felt like the clutch was slipping!

Have you unlocked it, it's only a bolt underneath preventing it from moving, when I picked mine up with 4,000 miles on the clock in 2003 from Scotch Corner on a damp 31st Dec and found it was too wide for my trailer I drove it back to Essex and found it took a lot to get it round a roundabout.

When it was home the next day I found I was in 50/50 diff lock position so no wonder.

What makes you feel it is hard to push, what feeling is it you are you getting?

Once unlocked, the 3 positions are not really really easy to feel in my opinion, not like putting a Discovery into low ratio, much more subtle as I think a sprung loaded ball bearing finds it locating pit from memory.
Dogsbone

Post by Dogsbone »

It wasn't my intension to try and drive the car in 2WD mode, would probably be lethal with an EVO engine anyway. I've been asked about displaying it at Techno Classic in Essen and as it's a non runner at the moment will have to manoeuvre it on the display by pushing it around. But I find the rolling resistance is really high, I can't really push it on my own, needs at least two people and even then it's a bit of an effort. Just wondered if it was any easier in 2WD mode.
torqueatif

Post by torqueatif »

They push very well in the mode you are in, I suspect you have binding brake calipers rubbing the discs.
Justin Smith

Post by Justin Smith »

I was going to say the same thing, mine rolls in and out the garage easily by grabbing hold of a wheel and rotating it (rather the pushing the lamp pod or rear spoiler).

Something sounds like it is dragging somewhere.