Speedline split rims

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
cxa2000

Speedline split rims

Post by cxa2000 »

Does anyone know whether the Speedline split rims are made from normal alloy, alloy with some Magnesium content or entirely Magnesium
Nikki

Re: Speedline split rims

Post by Nikki »

cxa2000 wrote:Does anyone know whether the Speedline split rims are made from normal alloy, alloy with some Magnesium content or entirely Magnesium
The centre will be Magnesium alloy... Not sure what other metal is in there. They would have been "low pressure" cast back in the day.

The outer rim on the other hand should be aluminium alloy
Karl Ashdown should know for sure or Lyle.
torqueatif

Post by torqueatif »

Nikki wrote:
cxa2000 wrote:Does anyone know whether the Speedline split rims are made from normal alloy, alloy with some Magnesium content or entirely Magnesium
The centre will be Magnesium alloy... Not sure what other metal is in there. They would have been "low pressure" cast back in the day.

The outer rim on the other hand should be aluminium alloy
Karl Ashdown should know for sure or Lyle.
I'm not so sure, Karl and I have argued what they are, the general consensus is they are magnesium but to me they are far too heavy to be magnesium. they don't appear to be chromated either.
Regards....Lyle
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

torqueatif wrote:I'm not so sure, Karl and I have argued what they are, the general consensus is they are magnesium but to me they are far too heavy to be magnesium. they don't appear to be chromated either.
Regards....Lyle
Ah that's interesting... I've never actually had one in my hands so would not know about the actual weight...

Could it be that a "heavier" alloy was used to increase "strength"?

Or maybe that both aluminium alloy AND Magnesium alloy were both used back in the day by Speedline for different wheels?
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

Took my wheels apart for a refurb and the centres are blomin heavy, so I'm thinking that they are just good old aluminium alloy, the powder coaters had no problems with them although I was a bit worried at first not knowing what they were made of and how to deal with them, but I stand to be corrected