Boreham visit 1988

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
jackson.40

Boreham visit 1988

Post by jackson.40 »

Hello,

I came across this great site while researching the RS200 as it's a car i would like to own one day.

I have been a fan of the Ford RS cars and have owned a MK2 Mexico with X pack and a MK2 RS2000.

Back in 1988 Fast Ford magazine offered the chance for a small group to attend a "customer day" at Boreham. I was lucky enough to get picked and couldn't wait for the day to arrive.

On the 6th of July 1988 i made my way down to Boreham in my MK2 RS2000 and was told at the main gate to go to reception.We were met at reception by Bob Howe and over tea and coffee Bob gave a talk about the history of the car and we were also told some great stories.One of the stories was about when the FIM came to count the cars and they didn't have 200 cars on site,so they had to move some cars around as the FIM went from building to building!. Another story was about Essex Police going to Boreham and mocking up a RS200 with Police stickers and blue lights,i am sure i have seen photo's of this in the motoring press at the time.

After the introduction to the car we headed out to the track with Bob who was using car E58EVW to take us around the track.(No one was allowed to drive the car)
I managed to get the first go and i jumped in with Bob and we did a few laps to warm the car up on the wet track.After a few laps Bob went for it and half way around the lap he span the car 360 degrees!!! Before the car had come to a stop Bob was apologizing but i shook his hand and thanked him :D .
After everyone had a go it was time for the workshop tour.

Bob took us around the workshop pointing out all the RS200 cars and parts that were everywhere,everything was open to us and we spent a long time looking around and chatting to the guy's who were working on cars.I took some photo's and sat in a few more cars.

We then headed back with Bob to reception and had more tea/coffee and cake and a question time about the day and other RS cars.At the end of the day Bob said we could donate some money for a local charity if we wanted to and we all did.Then it was time to go,i thanked Bob for a great day and for the spin in the car.

I found Bob to be a lovely warm guy and he made us feel very welcomed.

On with the photo's...........................

Last edited by jackson.40 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nikki

Re: Boreham visit 1988

Post by Nikki »

Hi Jackson,

Welcome to RS200.org and thank-you very much for your introduction, write-up and photos of your Boreham visit in 1988.

What a time to have been able to visit Boreham ! Very lucky. :-)
jackson.40

Re: Boreham visit 1988

Post by jackson.40 »

Hi Nikki

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I knew it was a special day and i would always remember it, i just wish i had taken more photo's.

At the time Bob said the RS200 cost £50k and i had just brought a three bedroom semi house for £41k!
I think it took a long time to sell them all.

Here are two more photo's i found from Ford Fair at Cheltenham Racecourse on 23rd August 1987.