Bump Stops

A cross reference list of what parts came from where and what do you do if you need one.
Justin Smith

Bump Stops

Post by Justin Smith »

The rear clam has two location points on the inside which come down on two rubber stops when you close it.

After so many years these have started to perish for many owners, especially on cars that have been driven as the engine/exhaust fumes I believe shorten it's life.

For some time we have believed that they are the bump stops found inside suspension struts and actually the RS200 suspension seems to use them although I have never taken one apart to be sure.

Thanks to other owners suggestions (especially JBH) I found a pair on Ebay advertised as "Cosworth Genuine Bilstein Bump Stops".

Having bought 2 I finally plucked up the courage to take my old ones off and you can see the are identical and even have the same part number VS-3972 on them with the RS200 one's having been sawn down just under that number.

I cut the two down and sprayed them black and they fit a treat.

If you click on the images they rotate round the way :)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Justin Smith

Re: Bump Stops

Post by Justin Smith »

I thought I had updated this thread but maybe not?
-
I did finally find a source for some new old stock but he knew what he had and I didn't get much of a deal but I did take the opportunity to buy everything he had.
-
My friend then took them to work and machined them down to the right size, all you need to do is spray them if you want to, it seems not all were sprayed from cars I have seen
-
I had used a few up but as it stands today I have 8 pairs left.
-
Price is not cheap but nothing with an RS affiliation ever seems to be now, £30 shipped in the UK will cover my costs though.
-
bumpstops.jpg
-
Let me know if you need any - Justin