117 - D630XNO - 1.8 - RHD - White - Current owner known (KD) - UK

Here is a list of every chassis along with any information I have found about it
Justin Smith

117 - D630XNO - 1.8 - RHD - White - Current owner known (KD) - UK

Post by Justin Smith »

*** 15/2/2011 - The owner has been in touch and pointed out some errors in the entry for this car - as soon as we have an update I'll update the entry ***

From FORD documents I have read I think this car was originally sold with 14,000 miles on the clock around September 1988 to Chris Timms who was MD of a Ford Dealership in Lancashire along with the parts to uprate to 350 BHP. I think he also might have owned #073 at some point.

It had been registered prior to sale as D630XNO and was used as a demonstrator and was seen on display at various locations. I believe this was the vehicle that was used by HRH Price Michael of Kent.

In December 2003 I found this car whilst surfing the internet looking for a RS200 to buy for myself.

Quoted from their website "#117 Right Hand Drive model. Originally sold to a private customer as a "Street" version. Converted to Rally specs in 1986 and campaigned by Belga Racing. The #117 RHD has been completely restored back to EVO spec Belga Racing livery. It has documented racing history. It is fully sorted and ready to race."

This comment relating to 1986 seems odd and wrong as we know it was sold by FORD to a private owner in 1988 !?

I have only been able to find the very basic information:-

Manufacturer Ford
Model RS 200 4WD
Body type
Colour White
Fuel type Petrol
Date manufactured 31 December 1987
Number of previous owners 7
Last owner change 17 September 2001

In July 2005, while surfing for information on (DB), I found some images which it said were taken at the "Slowly Sidways - UK" gathering at the Killarney Rally Of The Lakes, May 2004 and in December 2005 I was emailed the following information:-

"Basically car no 117 belonged to a cocaine dealer several years ago and when the guy was arrested the car was sold at a police auction to a guy called (TW). He sold the car and eventually (DB) bought it as a Ford Ex Demo car. In 2002 Dave bought the Marlboro car which had been built in Spain for Carlos Sainz who never even got a chance to rally it. The Marlboro car was bought from Green Motorsport Savannah, the package included a spare BDT Evo engine which had some Quaife work done on it. Also in the deal was a spare tub and lots and lots of Evo bits. Someone built a replica - I saw someone driving the car at the 2004 Autosport show - I think someone is trying to pass it off as the original - people seemed to believe it."

I think what has happened is someone has bought the car and put BELGA stripes on it to make it look like a works car which I can't find any evidence that it ever was.

In October 2006 (CP) sent me a link to some images of a car bearing D630XNO at what appears to be BRC Live 06 which was 19th March 2006 at Mallory Park.

In March 2007 another great email about #073 and #117 has just hit my email box:-

"Hi Justin, Just come across your web site on the RS200. Firstly, some updates for you...

Car 073 was actually owned by my dad, Stephen Timms... Chris Timms had the other car 117 (I think 117, I will check this for you).

They were partners... MDs of Timms of Leigh as you can see on the side of car 073 at the show in the picture.

I actually remember going to that show many years ago!

Both cars were white when they took delivery, then Dad had 073 sprayed red and Chris had 117 sprayed in the Ford stripes.

Cheers, Christian"

If you find out anything else about this car please drop me an email and i'll update the cars entry !

justin.smith@rs200.org

Images