starting the 200

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
torqueatif

Re: starting the 200

Post by torqueatif »

This is question I have been asking myself of late.
The 6r4 is good in the respect that you can pressurise the oil system by spinning the dry sump pump up, this lubes the cams before any kind of metal to metal contact can occur.
I now have an RS200 and can't see a way of doing the same with the type of drysump pump fitted, removing the plug leads won't prevent metal to metal contact if there is no oil on the cams/buckets on initial turn over, this may be fine for 10-20 start ups after being sat for a long period but eventually those cams and buckets will become worn, I can always tell who primes a 6r4 engine and who doesn't when they come in for a check over.

I will remove the pump on the 200 and see if the case can be machined to accept a seal, then put an external shaft for manual priming purposes.
If that is a non-starter, it might be worth having an electric pump scavenge the sump and pressurise the engine that way.

Obviously, if you start your car regularly.... you need not worry about the oil draining away from the cams.

Maybe someone can give more feedback as to whether the cam carrier retains oil in this area and is not as big a problem as it is with the 6r4?
I fear it may be the same case as the 6r4 and the fact it sits at an angle won't help either I suspect?

Regards....Lyle