rs fuel

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
rsmarshmills

rs fuel

Post by rsmarshmills »

we run a standard rs 200 (low mileage) have up to this point run it on 4 star fuel. what alternative fuel can be used? what if any modifications need to be made to the engine/vehicle? can super unleaded be used if so do you need a feul additive ? octane booster?
cxa2000

Re: rs fuel

Post by cxa2000 »

rsmarshmills wrote:we run a standard rs 200 (low mileage) have up to this point run it on 4 star fuel. what alternative fuel can be used? what if any modifications need to be made to the engine/vehicle? can super unleaded be used if so do you need a feul additive ? octane booster?
I posted a similar question about my 350bhp RS200 about 2/3 months ago on the RSOC forum, and the general consesus was that Shell V Power is ok and no LR additive is required, although there is no harm in putting a shot of LR adittive every other tankful.
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

Hi

This has come up a few times recently,

I know that on other Fords engines the valve seats inserts were changed for a harder material during 1985 so that they could run LPG & use cats, so in theory All RS200's were made from re-developed RS1700T engines during that period & should already have have harder seats fitted.

One Ford engine that I have modified a lot over the years is the notoriously pinking RS1600i CVH. Big ports, bored out inserts and 0.5mm valve seats on the inlet and 1mm exh. I had no seat regression problems at all on cars that I modified which covered over 12k miles a year running hard (I did a tuning article for the RSOC RSi Bullitin board covering this) Not many RS200's are likley to cover that many miles in 10 years!

If you are ever fitting a remappable ecu, ask the operator to map it for 97 which allows you to run 97 and higher octane fuel, but if it is mapped for 98 or more but you only use 97 by mistake the engine will normally miss under load and may go into limp home mode.

My Jap import MR2 Turbo engined replica was designed to run on 100 octane fuel, but mine is mapped on 97 and it runs great!

If you think you need to use an additive, I have found Millers to be the best. I also think Shell V power is the best too.

Mike
torqueatif

Post by torqueatif »

We use Sunoco Racing fuel (previously Racing 76) in our 6r4's, the price is not too high either!
They have many differing types of fuel with high octanes/tolurene, etc. They also have very high lead content, you can mix standard 98 Ron pump fuel at a rate of 8-1 and still have the engine preserving characteristics of lead, that would give you over 200 litres of fuel for 1 x 25 litre drum. Enough for a rally!
You also find the throttle more responsive, almost like there is a quicker connection to the engine.

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/racing-Sunoco-racing-fuels

A bit of homework on what is suitable for the RS200 is quite easy.
There will be a suitable fuel that will protect turbo cars too.

Personally, I find this the best way to go to protect your engine as I have seen lots of damage to the metro engines from unleaded fuel and additives even with hard seats.

Regards...Lyle