should i?

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
kennys

should i?

Post by kennys »

i am generally a porsche person (sorry) but have been for a few years thinking about an rs of a different sort! as i don't generally drive much but love the car's design and performance. should i? how is it as a city car? i know that sounds stupid but its sure a fun way to get around a city! thanks for all general thoughts.
Nikki

Re: should i?

Post by Nikki »

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for signing up to RS200.org forums, for your short intro and welcome.

When you mention that you would be interested in an RS "of a different kind" are you referring specifically to an RS200? If so and if you plan to regularly use it in a city then the short answer is "forget it", particularly if you are coming from any Porsche... In terms of usage it is just not sustainable whatsoever as wouldn't be any Group B car really (an exception being maybe a Sport Quattro)...

If you know Porsches then you can take a 911 GT3 RS as a base (which is already not very practical and suited for city driving) and 1/2 that practicality even further, you should not be far from what an RS200 offers - Note that I'm not comparing performance between a GT3 and a 200, only making a practicality and comfort statement.

If you are after any RS from the Ford range then either of the two Focus (Mk 1 or Mk 2) will be great for driving in and out of town and offer plenty of comfort though of course they are not that exclusive. :-)

Cheers,
Klaus
kennys

Post by kennys »

thanks for your considered response! i am not put off by the impracticality of infrequently using the car around town, more challenged! but isn't the car in 300bph trim a manageable enterprise? thanks again! kenny
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

I don't think the various state of tune will change the drivability much - okay maybe the clutch type which is fitted to any individual car may change the experience. Other things to remember are that any regular RS200 won't have power assisted brakes or power steering, the cockpit temperature control is very approximate at best (read. hot inside) and they are also noisy and don't damp vibrations very well... Not as bad as a Delta S4 mind you but nowhere near what a similar era 959 had to offer.

They are harsh cars to drive but if you can live with this and the high maintenance they require then why not try and drive one before you decide to buy? They are not very easy to find but if you do find one for sale then you should be eligible to test drive it before committing... Very few cars can deliver the driving pleasure they can offer and certainly not match the exclusivity on the road.
kennys

Post by kennys »

i can't thank you enough! truly much appreciated. i found one in germany with books but no receipts or records at srpingbok. i have had 964 rs clubsport, gt3.s, and older 911s and understand the implications of a rough ride and little creature comforts. though i am not a car dealer, i do have a web site with cars i have owned and own (rovecars.com) as there have been so many i needed a trade vehicle (so to speak!) not to lose more money than i have in past already. but its such a joy and passion owning a multitude of cars that somehow lessens pain. do you think the 600 vs 300bph issue will effect long term values? i.e. is the 300 as collectible/desirable as the 600? the car i found is a 300bph, will that offer a comparable level of excitement?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

No worries Kenny, this is what the forum is about. :-)

I can't give you much insight on the different levels of excitement brought by these two versions as I have not personally driven them, maybe someone who has can share his/her thoughts. On the value front to this day, not even in the long term, any genuine Evo has already quite a bit more value than a regular RS200 due to the sheer low numbers that were built (22 or 24 if I remember correctly).
RS200WRX

Post by RS200WRX »

Why not consider my RS200 replica? Its my everyday car rain or shine motorway or in the city it is as easy to drive as the Subaru Impreza platform it is based on. 360BHP power steering ABS 4WD Air Conditioning Heated Screen electric windows and its a practical 4 seater as well. I have built 5 of these super cars they have been driven by people who have owned and driven the real RS200 and they always say they wish the real car was as easy to drive as my car. It is also constructed using an FIA certified roll cage and is elegable for track days etc. Image

Full album here http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff14 ... 0Pictures/
kennys

Post by kennys »

not for me thanks