RS200 Factory Build info

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
John.H

RS200 Factory Build info

Post by John.H »

Hello all, I am looking for info on the original build specs and processes for this magnificent machine.

Let me back up a bit.

I have always loved this car and Group B in general, but always thought owning one would be out of reach. I then realized I could build one. I have been a fabricator my whole life (and a damn good one if I can say so) and have always wanted to do something meaningful. this is it.

My idea started to form when I saw the evo200 kit car. Now a kit car is all fine and dandy, but it is still a 1980s tech car when all is said and done. I wanted a modernized car but didn't want to frankenstein something together from a subaru or evo or anything like that. I decided it would not be beyond my abilities to build one from scratch with modern materials and technology...so I am.

I plan on using aluminum honeycomb like ford did for the "tub" and steel or titanium for the front and rear crossmembers. I plan on powering it with either a mitsubishi evo 9 engine mated to a fwd eclipse trans mounted longitudinally driving a diff at the front and rear, or a new ford ecoboost 4cyl mounted in the same fashion.

now the problem I have found is that Ford is very tight lipped with the original drawings and schematics for the car. I am trying various methods of getting this information but so far no luck.

If anyone has these plans or knows how to get them, please let me know. email is the best way to contact me.

if you want to see some of my work so far, my company's website is www.namelessperformance.com

Thank you,
John
Nikki

Re: RS200 Factory Build info

Post by Nikki »

Hello John,

Welcome to the RS200.org boards. Thanks for your introduction and sharing your passion about the building of cars. your approach to building a replica RS200 sounds most interesting, I've also taken a look at your ongoing projects on your website..I like the BMW 2800... :-)

As you already mentioned and found out, finding build information on the RS200 is not that easy. I think one of the problems with Ford is that they probably don't have detailed information in their archives about this car since as you know all the construction was outsourced from the beginning.

One question about the description of how you're going to build the car... You mentioned that you would use a FWD Evo or Elipse engine and transmission. I assume that you are going to turn it 90 degrees and use the built-in diff as the centre-diff?

Good luck anyway in finding the info you need. I'm sure there will be people who can give you useful info on here from the real cars. Keep us posted on progress... 8-)
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

Welome John,
I remeber your email back in Feb.

"My idea started to form when I saw the evo200 kit car. Now a kit car is all fine and dandy, but it is still a 1980s tech car when all is said and done. I wanted a modernized car but didn't want to frankenstein something together from a subaru or evo or anything like that".

The genuine car is also 80's tech remember! If you use well proven Jap "off the shelf" items like Subaru or Evo stuff you save tons of money, but thats up to you?

"I plan on using aluminum honeycomb like ford did for the "tub" and steel or titanium for the front and rear crossmembers. I plan on powering it with either a mitsubishi evo 9 engine mated to a fwd eclipse trans mounted longitudinally driving a diff at the front and rear, or a new ford ecoboost 4cyl mounted in the same fashion".

This has been discussed on lots of websights. If you plan to fit the transverse gearbox, then run out to diffs the effect will be to reduce the final drive ratio's so fourth would be like 2nd gear. A better way would be to use a 4x4 transfer box system like the off road challenge vehicles.

The genuine chassis details are on this website, the center tub would help you alot, the rest would need fabricating to suit your own drive train. Take a look at the Lancia S4 post and how that has been made, Mick's layout would probably be the best way forward for a 4wd system.

My own 200 replica was built using an MR2 Turbo platform, straight forward, simple and very effective.

Hope this helps
Mike
John.H

Post by John.H »

thanks for the replies!

I am working on a solution for the gear reduction problem, should have something figured out shortly.

As for the tub, I may just buy the one that the evo200 guys build when I buy the body. I am concerned that the drivetrain configuration I am using will not fit well in the stock tub. Another thing I am thinking about is that I will not have a transaxle at the front so I can improve the front of the center tub design a bit...

I am planning on starting the protoype build from cardboard honeycomb in the next few months. I am using cardboard honeycomb to get the tub design figured out because it is cheap and simulates the fabrication methods used for the aluminum honeycomb.
rs200replica

Post by rs200replica »

Hi John

I am the administrator for rs200replica.co.uk which is the site dedicated to the EVO200.
I don't know if you are aware of the site but we have a forum which may be of help.
I know Bill the owner of the EVO200 Kit car company has planned a 4 wheel drive setup using a rear mounted transaxle so may be worth contacting him for some ideas.
Just a warning the EVO200 tub is slightly different to the genuine RS200 and the doors are a lot stronger than the originals.
I have been informed by the original builder that the EVO200 is dimensionally correct apart from the bonnet and "A" panel are about 3" longer.
Cheers Pete
John.H

Post by John.H »

hmm. from what they told me the evo200 is built from factory molds...

anybody know where to buy an accurate body?
rs200replica

Post by rs200replica »

Hi The EVO200 body is not taken from the original moulds.
The tub, intercooler housing, rear clam, doors, bonnet, front bumper and cills are all slightly different all very minor but trust me there are differences.
Trevor who builds the Subaru 200 has a set of original moulds if I am corrrect and I have personally seen his work and the finish is excelent.
I think Bob from SPD has a set as well but Iam not sure if they are trading anymore.
Cheers Pete.