Pat Doran buys a second RS200

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
tbtstt

Pat Doran buys a second RS200

Post by tbtstt »

Exactly as the title say Pat Doran has now bought the RS200 of German hillclimber Dieter Knüttel, with the aim of converting and running the car at Pikes Peak. The full story can be read here:

http://www.erc24.com/?Show=News&ID=1793

I don't know if you can read the article without a Login, so if not, here is the full thing:
1992 European Rallycross Championship runner-up Pat Doran has bought the 2000 German Hillclimb Championship winning Ford RS200 of Dieter Knüttel to get the car converted for the 89th running of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC), to be held on June 26 in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The car was for several years in the hands of the Austrian 'Ing. Gabat Tuning' company, but only available without its engine and transmission. According to Liam Doran Julian Godfrey Engineering is currently preparing the car for the 'Race To The Clouds', an engine with a power output of more than 900bhp (at sea level) is in the making and the weight will be around 900kgs.

The 2011 edition of the prestigious Hillclimb is expected to become the event with the best entry of its history. Beside current overall record holder Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima (Japan) and Rhys Millen (New Zealand) Norwegian WRC star Petter Solberg and French Trophée Andros ace Jean-Philippe Dayraut announced their plans to try to brake the 10 minutes barrier this time. Tajima’s record time, set in 2007, is 10:01:41m for the 20kms long race that goes over about 50% tarmac and 50% gravel surface to the summit of the 4301m high mountain near Colorado Springs.
I know Pat has been rumoured to have been looking at Pikes Peak for a few years now, but I assumed he would be doing it in his currect RS200. Great to see that his rallycross RS200 will be left alone and he will be starting afresh (sort of!) with another one!
Nikki

Re: Pat Doran buys a second RS200

Post by Nikki »

Wow that's great news. Thanks for sharing it with the full text (the link did not work for me without login as per your preduction ;) )

Would be nice to see another properly prepared (and Driven) RS200 with some serious chances for getting a good time up Pikes Peak. I always thought Mach 2 racing had a great intentions but probably lacked budget and development for they always stumbled across problems that eventually they could never solve on the spot.

Will be interesting to see if Ford return with the Fiestas to reiterate their attempt from last year. 8-)