Front brake pads and bleeding

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
cxa2000

Front brake pads and bleeding

Post by cxa2000 »

Looks like i need to replace the front pads, can anyone recommend where i can get a set from and whats the procedure in bleeding the breaks, the manual says to have one front and one rear bled at the same time.
Do both bleed nipples need to open on each caliper at the same time or one by one :?:

claudio
Mike 2

Re: Front brake pads and bleeding

Post by Mike 2 »

Bleeding brakes should be completed in the following sequence:

1. Bleed rear caliper furthest from the master cylinder (RHD = Rear left or N/S Rear).
2. Front right (RHD = Front right or O/S Front)
3. Rear Right (RHD = Rear right or O/S Rear)
4. Front left (RHD = Front left or N/S Front)

Opposite the above for LHD cars.

Only bleed one caliper at a time, and if possible use a pressure bleeding system. If you are unsure how to do brake bleeding, get it done professionally.

I think the calipers were AP RACING, Send them your caliper numbers and type of usage.

Hope this helps.
Mike.
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

Bleeding a system is fairly straightforward and not a problem, done plenty on normal cars and classics, but in the manual it says that one front and one rear break line should be open and bled at the same time to avaoid putting unnecessary strain on the break balance mechanism, dont want to be damaging anything so i assume thats fairly important.

What i realy wanted to know is do both bleed nipples need to be open on each caliper together (there are 2 to each caliper, 8 in total) or one at a time :?: and whether anyone could reccommend pads that are suitable for both fast road use and the odd track day.
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

I think I see what you mean abit more now, If you have two nipples on each caliper the same applies as above but the furthest nipple gets bled first then the nearest one per caliper.

I'm sure some one on here can answer the rest for you.
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

Mike 2 wrote:I think I see what you mean abit more now, If you have two nipples on each caliper the same applies as above but the furthest nipple gets bled first then the nearest one per caliper.

Cheers Mike, i'm hoping someone can give some part numbers for pads and a dealer i can get them from, it would save me a bit of time and would be less hassle for me, will give AP racing a call in the morning anyway.
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

Mike 2 wrote:I think I see what you mean abit more now, If you have two nipples on each caliper the same applies as above but the furthest nipple gets bled first then the nearest one per caliper.

Thanks for the advice Mike, have ordered a twin hose bleeder from Demon Tweeks for the bleeding which also has a one way valve :D

It seems that no one could recommend any brake pads, so after some phoning around it looks like i may go for the Ferodo DS2500 material.

Cheers

Claudio
JRS100

Post by JRS100 »

Hi i fitted a set of apec pads to mine the apec number was PAD 745 for a Toyota camry/celica .They need slightly modifying with a file then they fit perfect. Hope this helps.Jonny.