Idle speed control valve

Feel free to drop in here and chat about anything 200 related
cxa2000

Idle speed control valve

Post by cxa2000 »

It was such a nice day today that i decided to take 194 out for the day, cant beleive its still so mild for this time of the year considering what it was like last November.

The car ran very well, but it doesnt want to idle now, starts fine.

I assume the fault could be the idle speed control valve, does anyone know whether this part is still available and was it from another car in the Ford range as it looks similar to the Ford BOA Cosworth item, the number on the casting is i think E3EE-9F715-A1

Any help/advice would be much apreciated.

Claudio
Seang

Re: Idle speed control valve

Post by Seang »

evening mate

i dont own a 200 but i am sure if you give Julian Godfrey a call he could tell you/help you out

cheers sean

Post by 173 »

Hi Claudio,

This is a common fault and is normally a broken wire where is bends and fits onto the idle speed control valve. As the rear bodywork is raised and lowered it rubs on the wire and this is where it breaks. I have shortened mine before.

Cheers,
Steve G
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

173 wrote:Hi Claudio,

This is a common fault and is normally a broken wire where is bends and fits onto the idle speed control valve. As the rear bodywork is raised and lowered it rubs on the wire and this is where it breaks. I have shortened mine before.

Cheers,
Steve G
Hi Steve

Spot on, checked the wiring after removing the electrical tape and noticed that one one the wires was completely broken flush with the plastic connector of all places :x , so what could have been a simple splice and solder jobby is a little more involved now.
Need to know solder new wires to the terminals but cant seem to get the bloomimg things out of the plastic connector, normaly there is a push back clip but these are quite small and delicate looking so dont want to damage them.

Any idea how they come out :?: a new connector would save all the hassle but highly unlikely still available

Thanks
Claudio
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

photo of connector
Attachments
IMGP7312a.jpg
IMGP7313a.jpg
Mike 2

Post by Mike 2 »

Justin Smith

Post by Justin Smith »

I had exactly the same problem and Steve gave me the same advice and I found the same problem.

I found the part was from a 1988 style 2.8 Granada which I found someone breaking so I bought a spare value and had them cut me off the plug with as much cable back to the loom as possible.

I then joined the cables a long way back and hid it under the loom tape so you would never have known a new piece of cable had been cut in.

Ebay might help.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Granada- ... 336ec986aa

Justin
cxa2000

Post by cxa2000 »

All sorted
Eventualy managed to get the terminals out of the connector, new wires soldered, shrink sleeved and covered with proper car flex shroud, looks like new and original spec :D

If anyone needs to ever get these terminals out, there are 2 locking tabs on both sides on each one :o , what you need is a 2 pieces of round steel about the thickness of a cocktail stick, slide them in on both sides of the terminal which will compress the tabs inwards and allowing the terminal to be pulled out, either with the remaining cable if any or with a pair of pointed pliers.

Many thanks to all that offered there help and advice

Claudio