159 - C117URP - 1.8 - LHD - Black - Current owner known (CP) - USA

Here is a list of every chassis along with any information I have found about it
Justin Smith

159 - C117URP - 1.8 - LHD - Black - Current owner known (CP) - USA

Post by Justin Smith »

According to FORD paperwork I have read this car (along with 166, 104 & 070) was originally intended for Dennis O'Conner III in Texas , USA but he died before the car was sent. In December 2003 I found this car whilst surfing the internet looking for a RS200 to buy for myself.

The link I found was http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail ... 5315&s=264. I made contact with the seller, (GC)

Quoted from his website;

"500 miles. RS 200 UNREGISTERED 1986 - 1. OF ONLY 2 FACTORY PAINTED BLACK - CHASSIS NO.SBACXXBJ2CCL00159 - TOTALLY ORIGINAL EXCEPT - FOR NEW TYRES - 350 BHP - ROAD TRIM - LHD - NUMEROUS SPARES!!!!! "

In May 2005 I learnt that #159 had a new owner, (PS) from the USA although for the time being the car will remain in the UK. I went and looked at it for the owner and wrote a letter to help him register it, it was given the index C117URP.

March 2019 - I spoke the owner and their agent when I started to get emails saying an RS200 was on bringatrailer.com - they confirmed the sale was genuine - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ford-rs200-2/
This 1986 Ford RS200 is one of 146 examples sold in an effort to meet World Rally Championship Group B homologation requirements. The turbocharged 1.8L four was equipped from the factory with a 350 horsepower kit, and other options include Recaro seats, power windows, a radio, and special black paint. Power is sent to all four wheels through a 5-speed manual gearbox and three limited-slip differentials. The car was reportedly first ordered by oilman Dennis O’Connor and purchased on his behalf by Innes Ireland along with three additional RS200s. O’Conner passed away before delivery, and race engineer Terry Hoyle acquired the cars in 1990. Chassis #159 was first imported to the United States in the 1990s, but returned to the United Kingdom in 1997. The car was then displayed in the David Sutton Motorsports Museum with 600 indicated miles and was first registered in the UK in 2006. It was brought back to the US a few years ago, and the odometer now shows just 1,135 miles. The current owner acquired the car 13 years ago and has driven it approximately 600 miles. This RS200 is offered on dealer consignment with the original purchase invoice, some records, and a clean Nevada title. Ghia designed the fiberglass composite body, which was subsequently built by Reliant. The original invoice indicates that Aston Martin Tickford was commissioned to complete the “special” black finish for an additional £3,500. The car is believed to be one of only two RS200s originally ordered in black. The exterior features a collection of scoops, inlets, and extraction vents, as well as rally lights mounted in the front valence. The 16″ Ford Motorsport wheels are made of magnesium alloy and mounted with Pirelli tires. A full-size spare is stored under the rear clamshell aft of the engine.
She sold for $280,000 plus 5% fee - I'm hoping the new owner will make contact so I don't lose sight of the car.

2021 - March - The new owner (PS) has been in touch.

March 2023 - Great video of 159 being detailed in the US.

If you find out anything else about this car please drop me an email and I'll update the cars entry !

justin.smith@rs200.org

Images